This website is dedicated to helping union workers understand their rights outlined by federal and state law. It also updates union members on issues affecting them, such as the Employee Free Choice Act. In addition, our website can help further explain how to form a union, benefits of a union and a worker's right to organize for those considering joining or forming a union.
Overview of Unions
If you are part of a union or are considering joining one, you may have many unanswered questions about labor organizations. The following resources can help you learn the benefits of being a union member, the history of unions and what should be included in your union contract. In addition, our site answers questions to the most commonly asked union questions.
- Union History: Learn about the origin of unions and follow a timeline of union history.
- Questions About Unions: Find answers to your most common union questions, including how unions can help you and your family.
- Benefits of Unions: Learn about union benefits, such as fair compensation and due process in firing.
- Union Contracts and Bargaining: Explore the beneficial clauses that should be included in your union contract.
Forming and Joining a Union
Workers who choose to form or join a union have actively decided to have a voice in their workplace. The following links allow you to browse the top national unions and learn more about how you can form a union in your workplace. In addition, you can learn about your right to organize, in case management tries to stop you from forming a union.
- List of Top Unions: Find out more information on the top national unions, including the AFL-CIO.
- How to Form a Union: Find out how you can form a union in your workplace.
- Your Right to Organize: Learn about the National Labor Relations Act and the rights it offers to workers.
Additional Union Resources
In addition to the guides listed above, we have provided additional resources on our site and from other sources. You can learn more about your basic rights as a worker, catch up on union news, read about our country's healthcare crisis and shop union products to support good jobs. In addition, this section provides links to articles on FedEx and Wal-Mart who have been accused of unfair and illegal business practices. To learn more about these union topics, explore the links below.
- Workers' Rights including:
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Occupational Safety and Health Act
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Sexual Harassment
- Workers' Compensation
- Union News
- Unions and the Healthcare Crisis
- Employee Free Choice Act
- Corporate Watch, with articles on:
- Shop Union, including:
A coalition of labor unions, Change to Win aims to create a movement that meets the challenges of today’s economy and restores American ideals. Find out how you, your family and fellow workers can live out the “American Dream.”